sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS base the display on the screen

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS base the display on the screen reads "traction engaged" and sometimes the abs light on the instrument panel would go on. And I also notice that when sometimes when coming to a stop and pressing on the brake pedal it would not allow me to fully depress the pedal and the pedal feels as its pulsating and not slowing the car as if it was a rolling stop.
JA: Is there a code associated with the error? Have you checked the ABS fluid?
Customer: No code came up when hooked up to an obd2 scanner, and the brake fluid is topped off.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I thought that maybe the rear brake pads were a little worn so I'm gonna replace them with new pads . Should the rotors need to be resurfaced as well?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No it's just that the "traction engaged" is illuminating a lot more frequently...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

What you're feeling is the ABS and traction control activating when it should not. This is almost surely due to a bad wheel speed sensor. When wheel speed does not match the others then it can cause traction control to activate while accelerating, and will cause the ABS to activate when braking.

The first step will be to see what fault codes have set and go from there. An OBDII code reader will just have basic engine code reading capabilities, an ABS spsecific code reader or an actual scan tool will be necessary to read the ABS codes.

Any time brake pads are replaced the rotors need to be machined if they are not replaced.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
how can I confirm and determine that the wheel sensors are bad?

A scan tool needs to be used to see what fault codes are setting and to monitor data.