Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado... The other day I cranked

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Cadillac Eldorado... The other day I cranked it and the trunk and fuel door opened.... I turned it off and when I tried to restart it the cluster is black and no crank or start... I checked the trunk fuses and cluster is blown... Blows when trying to replace it... What could it be??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

there is a short in the cluster or the wiring

pull the cluster out and when you do that , look at the electrical connector from the harness side going in too the cluster for any evidence of melting or burn spots

and then reinstall the fuse does it still blow ?

how many miles on the Eldorado ?

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are 110,000.... Do I need to pull the dash to pull the cluster? Does that create the no crank/start?

yes it will , let me see what i have on removing the dash for you give me few minutes

Thanks

Now if it turned out you need a Cluster or I P replacement requires programing , i sent you the manual way if you want to do it, but i suggest a capable scanner before attempting repair, it is not like a plug and play device , so the used or new needs programing

please read the last diagram I sent you about programing .

Hope I was helpful to you , Please let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open For You to Come Back and ask me any Follow up Questions you may have on this issue Even after you Rate Me.

Thank You
Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Where is the IPC located? Is it possible that since the DIC did that opening the fuel door and trunk thing its the IPC or does the fuse more directly suggest the cluster? How will I know which if there is no overheating( i.e. the wiring) indication?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
If its the cluster will it need reprogramming as well?

to be honest with you, what we need is a capable scanner , to determine exactly what happened , do you know anybody with a scanner and get me some codes and i can be more accurate for you

usually it is the connector , you will see the connector melted around the pins if that is the case

this job can not be performed with out a dealer scanner or equivalent, you can buy the used parts but they want work just plugin them in, since the parts are expensive paying $100 diagnostic will be worth it then throwing parts at it and guessing .

yes the cluster will need programing

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I figured that... The scanner I have shows nothing... I have Two other cadillacs here... A 1997 Seville and another Eldorado... Will it be a possibly good idea to just exchange both the IPC and cluster from one that I know is operative? With reprogramming of course.... The reprogramming you sent shows just IPC... Is there a different procedure for the cluster?
If your best suggestion is to get it to a scanner will do... I do have parts at my disposal if its pretty definite its between the two... Location of IPC will be appreciated if you have it...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Money is tight trying to avoid extra expense if necessary... Trying to make the money I'm spending on you go far... lol Hard times...

Oh i understand about money being short man :) , off course if you have another car defenitley swap the cluster and do the ignition switch procedure and have a charger on the battery , you have nothing to loose

I m sorry the IPC is short ( Instrument Panel Cluster ) so that is the cluster that is all you have to replace

the security system vats , runs thru the IP , if the pcm of the car don t see the ipc, then you have no start up .

just make sure , when you unplugged the connector check with test light what power you getting there , make sure no wires are touching , cause the fuse is blowing instantly you said , you dont want to burn the other ipc

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got you... Good idea I had plans on checking possibly replacing at least the harness end if necessary... When the vats stops the car from starting doesn't it normally at least turn over/crank but not start... What color wire will be power? Should I replace all fuses test wires... Then of course take fuses back out before installing new cluster...
That blowing the fuse thing does have me worried about what I will find...

some do some , dont , some will stop the ground to the starter relay from the pcm, and some will let you start it but want allow fuel injectors from pulsing , each system is different, but vats system in gm car , will no allow you crank

good i dead is to have test light

you want test all fuses off course , and when you get to the cluster and unplug it , & stick a fuse back in and turn key on and see if it will blow with cluster fuse again ,if it doesn't than cluster is bad

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok... Got the cluster in and trying the reprogramming thing... 2nd cycle now... If it doesn't work can I just use the resistor off the key on the car I took it off???

be honest i never tried it that way , but the resistor is what you need

try it let me know , i like to know myself

did the cluster power up ?

Chad

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it did... All that info will be $26... Lol...

lol well thats good .lol

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Plugs were not melted at all...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
About another 20 min and I'll have an answer to rather or not the programming worked...

well that is a good sign

worse case , u can always have it programmed , in sc it is around $85 to program

'ok cool let me know

did you get it fixed or you need more help on it, please just let me know ?

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

Thank You
Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)