Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

1998 cad deville say starting disabled remove key ,I checked

Customer Question

1998 cad deville say starting disabled remove key ,I checked the chip at lock smith it what could it be
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: My 1998 Cadillac says when I put the key in remove key starting has been disabled I check the key and see if the reader was good in the chip and it was what could this be?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and I'll try checking the key first
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

is there a A red led security light flashing or steady on on the dash while you trying to start it ?

the security alarm module might be bad or need resetting , lets try resetting it if you have not already

Master Reset Procedure

1-Disconnect battery ( Both Cables ,The Negative & The Positive Cable )
2-Touch Cables together and hold 20 secs and let go
3-Hold Brake pedal down 10 secs
4-Wait 10 minutes and then Reconnect Battery
5-Close all the doors
6-lock the car with key from driver door ( IF your car is Equipped with a bladless key then just locked with the key Fob
7- Unlock car & Start your vehicle

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did what you told me in regards ***** ***** the battery a loose holding the cables together taking it a little cold in the breakdown unlocking the door and it still says starting disabled

if that did not reset the module , then you need to have it scanned and retrieved the fault codes from the anti theft module

they systems has several components , the key, the receiver, the antenna , the module , door switch , hood switch , etc...

if any failed then the module will not send proper signal to pcm to allow start up, the system is integrated with the pcm , so there is not like a fuse or relay you can pull out , unfortunately.