Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech

I drive a 2003 Cadillac CTS and lately the A/C compressor

Customer Question

Hello, I drive a 2003 Cadillac CTS and lately the A/C compressor will just turn off. The fan will stay on, but the 'A/C off' display will light up. I try turning it back on but the display will not go away. I have to turn the A/C off for several minutes in order for it to come back on. Any idea what the issue is?
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: I have checked the hoses but I have not checked the freon level. I am not sure how to do that besides seeing if the air blows cold, which it does while the compressor is running.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It depends on what the issue is. It just started acting up yesterday and it happened again today so I haven't done anything else besides check the hoses.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes. When I hit the gas I hear water spilling over something under the dash. I think it's near the heater core.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
The first thing you need to do is to install a set of AC gauges and read the systems pressure. Normal pressure on a properly filled system needs to be 35 to 40 PSI on the low side and right at 200 to 225 PSI on the high side. If you can get this done and post back with these reading I will see if I can help you get this resolved. Post back when you can.