Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752

We want to check the blower motor resister on a 2002

Customer Question

we want to check the blower motor resister on a 2002 cadillac deville and then probably replace it. We have the dash apart, the blower motor looks to be to the left as we face the front. But where is the resistor?
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 328,000 been an issue for 6 days. no blow, stopped on the dot, no warning
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we have a new resistor, dash is out but we really don't want to take the blower motor out
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: how do we get to the resistor, some say remove the dash to access the resistor, another said he removed it from underneath the dash but even I with a small hand can't get my hand up there???
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

This vehicle does not have a Blower Motor Resistor. Due to the "auto" feature of the system, the job of the resistor is done by a Blower Motor Control Processor. It's similar in function to the resistor, just "smarter" to accommodate the auto feature. The processor is mounted to the left/side of the blower housing (for an image location view, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xd6d6b48yogzdr2/cad-blowmod.jpg?dl=0). Unfortunately, there is no test procedure provided for this item. If you apply 12v to the blower motor and it responds, the problem will lie in the processor. They are fairly common fail items on these vehicles.If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!