EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

I removed my old onstar vcim because the light on my rear

Customer Question

I removed my old onstar vcim because the green light on my rear view mirror turned red. I purchased and installed a new module, but still can't communicate with onstar. No red or green light to the right side of mirror and nothing happens when I push the blue onstar button. Is there a reprogramming that needs to be done?
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: I haven't checked. The bulbs were working prior to removing the old unit (because the light was red). And it's not a bulb issue because when I push the onstar button, IT doesn't work.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2009 Escalade ext. Prior to replacing the unit, I took it to Cadillac dealer ship and they told me the vcim unit needed to be replaced.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. We have tried purchasing a new unit to replace the old one, and installed it in my vehicle. I can make Bluetooth phone calls, but have no communication with onstar.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I guess that's all. Oh yeah, I did call onstar on my cell phone during installation because all of my bbluetooth hands free phone minutes disappeared after installation. They attempted to transfer this to my new unit and said they show the transfer was successful. But it wasn't. I still have no minutes and the unit is unable to verify the phone number associated with my module.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. The dealer does need to program the module to the specifics of your vehicle. And also performed an on-star activation procedure to get the service started. Thanks.

Hi. I see you viewed my response. Do you have any more questions on this? If so please ask. If not please rate my assistance to your question. Thanks.