Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

What percentage of 1995 cadillac northstar engines blew head

Customer Question

what percentage of 1995 cadillac northstar engines blew head gaskets?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I was working for Cadillac during that time and is hard to put a % of the ones we repaired/saw in the shop but if I remember correctly? about 1of 20 we would see as a headgasket problem. Outside of the dealership at different shops maybe 1/10 had issues. It was all about the bolts corroding for the head, headbolts and they would pull loose from the block. causing a gap in the had to block surface and then the gasket would go bad, It was a bit of a flawed design. I forget the year they fixed this issue. I think around 1990. Not all of them did this though, regular coolant changes as well as a bit of luck, many never had the problem. It was a bad problem, with book time of near 24 hours to change the gaskets, then have to do thread repairs, many people sold /got out of their car before problems struck. If I did have to put a %? remembering back? I would say 20%