sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2008 CTS RWD. last 6 months I have been dealing

Customer Question

I have a 2008 CTS RWD. For the last 6 months I have been dealing with a strange clunking sound when going over a bump. I believe the sound is coming from the right rear. All of the Cadillac forums talk about replacing the rear knuckle. I completed the repair today and was quite disappointed when I took it for a test drive and the sound was still there.
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: No. Actually you can be going only 2-3 miles per hour. We have speed pumps on our street. The sound is weird. Its like a reverberating rattle.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I wonder if I could record it.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I already replaced the right rear knuckle. That is where the sound appears to come from.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought I was going to be charged 5.00 for a deposit but I see that I was charged 26.00 ? And where did my "mechanic" go ? I thought he was waiting for me to resume the chat.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many places that a noise over bumps could be coming from. A complete inspection of the rear suspension components should be done to check for loose parts. If nothing can be seen then the suspension can be jounced while the vehicle is on a drive on hoist while using a stethoscope to try and find the source, or Chassis Ears can be used.

The problem may be a bushing in the upper or lower control arm, trailing arm or toe link, it could be coming from the shock (check for leakage), it could be the sway bar bushings or a loose sway bar link. A loose sway bar link joint would be the most common cause of a noise over bumps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What does a sway bar link look like ? Are you specifically an expert on Cadillac ?

Number 4 in this picture shows the sway bar link. There is one on each side in the rear, part numbers 25964514 and 25964513.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Noticed today that hitting a bump on the right front causes the rattle in the right rear. Hitting a bump on the left front does not cause the noise.

Any suspension component that I mentioned could make noise when the suspension moves. A complete inspection of these items will need to be done to determine what is loose.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is so much to look at and I don't trust most service places with my vehicle
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked everything in the back. Guess I'll check the front. Noise sounds like something loose in back

Noises do often travel and can appear to be coming from somewhere they are not. If you're positive everything in the rear is tight then definitely check the front components. Chassis Ears may be necessary to locate the source of the noise.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a lot of tools but no Chassis ears!

If you have access to a drive on hoist and a mechanic's stethoscope that may suffice.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ha no drive on hoist. I wish !! It's called jack and lay on back!

I'm not sure how you're checking the components for looseness then? The suspension needs to be jounced with the weight of the car on it to check any of the components.