Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

The sensor code p0021 is coming up. i'm at the auction and

Customer Question

the sensor code p0021 is coming up. i'm at the auction and the car was inspected and this came on the report. is this a major problem?
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: a cadillac tech said he can reset it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2010 cts luxuary
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i haven't purchased it yet due to the code
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no everything else checks out clean
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is this something major to be concerned about? should i just look for another cts at the auction?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Worst case is stretched timing chain, or engine sludge which is blocking oil flow to the intake cam sprocket.

Could be a vvt solenoid.

Could also be as simple as low or dirty engine oil or an aftermarket oil filter.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They did say that the car needs a oil & filter change. So this is not a deal breaker if the code can be cleared? The car is running excellent!
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Low oil level can cause that code. check the level.