Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Engine light came on when driving on the ghway the car would

Customer Question

Engine light came on when driving on the highway the car would hesitate as if running out of gas
JA: How has your mileage been lately? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: Yes no problems before. I only have 37,000 on the car in the past 3 months highway driving I put on 4000 miles on
JA: What is the model of your '2000 Cadillac?
Customer: 2006 STS v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing happened 1 day ago
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I did change my gas cap to a locked gas cap
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the check engine light ever flash? Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
One time it did flash. Today it came on then stayed on I think it went off when I stopped not sure
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Usually this means you have a failed ignition coil. You will want to start b having diagnostic codes checked which can be done at your local parts store for free. If it gives a specific cylinder misfire code then swap that coil with another cylinder and reset codes to see if misfire follows coil, if so replace coil. This would be about a $200 repair at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could I still drive the car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Yes but I would try to get it fixed asap because driving it like this could eventually lead to other problems although it would probably take awhile. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.