john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech
6149662

I have a 2002 deville with a northstar. 2002 deville

Customer Question

I have a 2002 deville with a northstar.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 2002 deville northstar.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: overheating issues. replaced thermostat,waterpump.goes to overheat idle/overheat stop engine warning. fans?,heat core?head gaskets?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: yes no leak
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** engines are known for head gasket problems so I'd suspect that is the problem considering what you have already replaced. Next step is to do a block test which checks for exhaust gas in coolant. If exhaust gas is in coolant then head gaskets need to be replaced. Here is a test kit to buy, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UVIEW-Gas-and-Diesel-Combustion-Leak-Testing-Kit-56000-/361517093403?hash=item542c19121b:m:mt1LeWFFWnAzj73gvt6NwCg&item=361517093403&vxp=mtr

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
already did block test.
no exhaust in coolant
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
did block test.
no exhaust in coolant
next step
what to look for
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Does it overheat both going down highway and at idle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not at idle
just driving
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Then it sounds like radiator is the problem. You can use a heat gun to check for hot/cold spots which would indicate blockage in radiator and its not evenly cooling coolant. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
brand new radiator flushed and filled
working 100%
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I'm not sure then, I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some ideas. Sounds like you have replaced everything other then head gasket but if it passing test I don't want to tell you to replace them. I probably wouldn't have gotten involved in question to begin with if I would have known radiator was replaced and block test was done. Sorry I couldn't be more help but someone else might be able to shed some light on situation. No need to rate, thanks!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you anyway dan.
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 months ago.

have you pulled the plugs and checked for coolant wash? block tests are about 50 percent accurate.....ive replaced many bad head gaskets that passed block tests