sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

We have a 2005 Cadillac srx. We brought it in the shop

Customer Question

Hi we have a 2005 Cadillac srx. We brought it in the shop for a suspension issue which has nothing to do with the current issue.We get in the car to crank it and it wont crank so we replaced the electronic ignition switch and now the car has no signs of power except I can turn the headlights on. Its really strange. How do I make the car start again?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon, Have you reset the computers by doing a 5 minutes battery disconnect and touch the cables together before reinstalling them? Did you test the battery voltage at the battery?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The battery is good and we have a jumpbox just in case it dies. We did unhook it but didn't touch to cable together before installing I will try this.

Excellent. Make sure you give it five minutes and than touch them together for about 30 seconds. Reinstall and retry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did it twice and it didn't work

I have a feeling that ignition switch is bad or something is not connected right.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can put the old one back it and see. Its very strange for it to not show signs of power but it does have power after I change the electronic ignition switch. I triple check and also had another check and everythings connected correctly. When u open the door the lights don't come on the dash or anything. I can manually turn on the headlights that's how I know it has power. and the battery is good.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I didn't Disabled the SIR system but it shouldn't make it have that affect. I did remove theft deterrent control module but didn't unplug it or anything just simply moved it out the way.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also if the ignition switch is bad like we thought as to why we replaced it. it wouldn't just shut the car down it just would make the car not start.

Not on this vehicle ignition switch can cut power to everything.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
okay ill put the old one pay on and see.

okay standing by.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no difference. I even unplugged the battery again to see if it helps.

We lost our power here. Let me open this question to the other experts to get help.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have quite a few things going on including blown fuses, wiring, power distribution or module issues.

Have all fuses been checked?
Did this problem arise while the vehicle was at the shop for other work?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We brought the car in for a rear bushing problem. then after we checked it out. We tried to crank it up but it wouldn't start. no turn over but it had power. So figuring it would be the electronic ignition switch we changed this. after changing this the only thing that has power now is the headlights. All fuses are dead except for a couple. Note the battery is good.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When the fuses being dead I mean both side have no power. when turning the power on the the car with the key and also without the key in the ignition. also everytime we put the key in the ignition won't let us take it out unless we use the release push button on the bottom.

Was any actual work done?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The only work done was us changing the ignition switch after the car wouldn't start. we just brought it in the check out a nonrelated issue.
Did the current problem start as a result of work that was done? Did the shop perform a repair and it never started again? That was the implication but I'm trying to determine actual facts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay I am a shop. My shop owns the car. We brought the car into the shop for a rear bushing issue. looked at it and decided to take it out while we wait on the part as we had customers to see to. We got in the car and it had power and would not start but yet it did start before we brought it in. Battery checked out good. So we know these Gm cars have a bad rep for electronic ignition switches going bad we changed it. It made the problem worse yes by after we changed it the car had no power whatsoever except the headlights will turn all.

Does the BCM communicate?