Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

The entire electircal system is dead. I had two slow engine

Customer Question

The entire electircal system is dead. I had two slow engine starts my two previous drives. The second, fob wouldn't work, but did momentarily so I got in the door. Similar to start the engine...multiple press on start, suddenly it started. I went to the dealer and got new batteries in the fabs. Started fine to return home. Next drive, slow turn over but it started. I left the engine running when I reached my destination, so I returned home fine. This morning the door wouldn't open, but with the second fob it did... engine indicater lit.. RED emergency button initiated horn alarm. Trunk would not open. Now nothing responds. I can't open the door to release hood. Totally dead.
JA: Has the battery died recently?
Customer: I replaced it about a year ago. I had yesterday, a hesitation turn over but it started. The last successful start, was slower but it did start. Now nothing.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2009 XLR Platinum
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Read my initial writing and the previous one. My effort was to open the hood and then call AAA to check the battery. They installed the current one which should be under warrantee.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing from me...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 5 months ago.

Good afternoon, sounds to me like you have a possible security system issue. What you need to do is find out if the battery is now dead. If that is the cause we need to find out why. When the battery is low it will have all kinds if electrical issues including the system not recognizing your key. It can be caused by a few things. You may have a draw on the system from a bad module we will have to perform a battery draw test. It can be caused by the alternator not charging the system we can do a test once it gets running again to verify.