Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

I Havea 2005 Cadillac STS I Need To Sell Immediately To help

Customer Question

I Havea 2005 Cadillac STS I Need To Sell Immediately To help pay For Granddaughters Surgery . As Luck Would Have It , My Engine Light came on and Speed Odometer Is way Fast. ITook it To a Local Shop because he has a Computer That Reads Everything and is $100 , he said Coils , Plugs needed Changing and Speed Sensor ok , So Cluster Needs Changing . Price $1845 and he's Helping me Out he says. Average sale of That car in This area with the mileage at 180 is $Upper 5-6 , I Had it online for a Week @ $4900 before Engine Light came on and Didnt sell, I can't see Putting in $1800 To Fix it , I need Money Not to be Spending it. If I Go To Auction With Engine light , I Go to Yellow Line and Bring $1500 . I looked up Ignition Couls and Spark plugs and I am Not Sure if Wires. Caps and all have To be Changed But Parts Were only about $450 and a Used Cluster From Warehouse the know Reputable $35. Since I Dont Know All that Needs Replacing ( When he says Coils and Plugs ). I may Be Short changing Part cost, I Pulled only Ignition Coils ( Shop Said$135 but Discounting to $100 and I'm sure He's Using New Speed Cluster , But I Need Engine Lights Off To Sell and someone Who knows How To do it. I only went to this Guy because of his Vomputer and Now Wish I had Gone To Dealer to Check. Dealer said $600 on Cluster , I Didn't get Other Prices as I was So Discouraged. What do You Think of Prices and What Would You Do, Given My Must Sell , but It's not my selfishness that wants To max out on Best Return, It's a Granddaughter that needs Medical care , Obamacare Foesnt Cover on Children under 2 even with Insurance. Act deems only comfort, no hope No Care, Well, I , and Other Drs say She has a Great Chance With The Care and DONT BELIEVE Denial of care and put in No Hope status( I hope you never find out What That Act can Do to a Family that had Insurance and a Chance Before the Act! Anyway, I am SELLING EVERYTHING TRYING TO HELP HER FIGHT IT OUT! Just Meed Rationale Eperoenced Guidance on CADILLAC Right Now. THANKS!
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question and very sorry to hear about Your granddaughter and I hope it all works out for you and her . Is he asking $1800 for the complete repair?

Your 3.5 has coil on plugs , can you tell me why he thinks you need to replace all 6 of them?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks onNoteabout My Graddaughter! I'm
Not Sure, He said his Computer Showed All Bad , and another Friend of mine said , a Similar Statement , he asked if ALL are Bad? Nice Guy , But, Yes ,$1800For All , Doesn't Seem Worth it , Hard ToGuess Right with So Much Riding on it. Thank You
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Its would be extremely rare for all six coils to fail and if that was the case the engine would not start and run. I suspect hes full of it if hes trying to sell you all of them. His pricing is on the high side as well. You can buy new replacement coils all day long on line for about $28 each. There are no spark plug wire or a distributor cap. As for the instrument cluster you would likely be better off as well as less costly to remove yours and have it rebuilt if in fact it is bad. See the link below for a good source for this. I would give them a call and see what the cost is, Im betting its much less the $600.

http://www.instrumentclusters.com/

Im not sure here that his diagnostic passes the smell test and I think if it where me, I would seek a second opinion.