Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech

Installed used ecm on 06 cts, attempted to reprogram key.

Customer Question

Installed used ecm on 06 cts, attempted to reprogram key. Now the will come out ok and the security light goes , theres no security lot code on but still want start.
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 06 3.6 liter engine
JA: What year is your Cadillac?
Customer: 2006. Cts. 3.6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Disconnect, reconnect battery and ecm.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Before replacing the ecm the woud not come out and security code light stayed on, after replacing the ecm the key now comes out and security light went but still want start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Any time you have to replace the ECM even with a used one it will require programming for your vin number and unless you have access to a dealer scan tool and the software then this programming has to be done by the dealer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
this I know. I want to avoid toeing and high Dealer cost, that' why I messaged you for repair help! Your long awaited statement that does not help me should not cost me $26.00.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Any money you have placed into your account remains in your account unless you rate the service, I am paid nothing with out your rating. Unfortunately if the computer has not been programmed for your car there is no way to make it read your keys. I wish I had better news for you but I do not.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, "God bless."
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Best to your.