cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21, Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.
73583367

My 2002 cadillac escalade sometimes suddenly brakes on the

Customer Question

My 2002 cadillac escalade sometimes suddenly brakes on the highway
JA: How many miles are on the car? Are these the orignial brakes?
Customer: These are not the original brakes, and just about 240k miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am a mechanic and have replaced the power steering pump, brake booster, master cylinder, all of the brakes, the ebcm was rebuilt, and the system was professionally bleeded by the dealer
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: There is a code for the abs c0292 and the air ride system was replaced with expensive aftermarket shocks. The light for the traction control comes on sometimes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, This is a common issue. One of the speed sensors is most likely the cause. Verify all 4 tires are the same size and air pressure. Verify the 4 wheels are the same width. Remove, clean and verify the front Wheel Speed Sensors are clean and have the magnetic strength. Compare the WSS side to side. Refer to GM Bulletin 05-05-25-003B for possible update of the Yaw/Lateral Accelerometer. Perform the Yaw Rate Reference Table Reset Procedure. Reprogram the EBCM with the latest software.

I have been doing this a long time and it is usually just one vehicle speed sensor that is messing up everything. But it is good to verify the tire pressure and condition. I usually will just use a volt meter and test each one of the wheel speed sensors. If you backprobe them and use your volt meter on AC voltage while turning the tire they will give a voltage reading. They also will test with the sensor disconnected 5v ref voltage. All of them should be reading the same. If one of the wheels gets a different reading either because of a dirty sensor tire is damaged or tire pressure it triggers the EBCM electronic brake control module which is turning the brake on that wheel thinking it is spinning.

Let me know if you have any questions, thanks. Charlie

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The tires are new also, with good pressure. And the speed sensors are apart of the wheel hub I believe so they cannot be cleaned. I will do some tests and let you know. Thanks