Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

The oil pressure light has flashed two different times, the

Customer Question

The oil pressure light has flashed two different times, the goes out. This morning it flashed and said to turn off engine. Husband checked and no appearance of any oil leaks.
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: No to check engine and the car is a 2009 and no the oil pump has not been replaced.
JA: What is the model of your '09 Cadillac?
Customer: SRX
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Trying to determine if it is a malfunction of the sensor and needing to replace oil pump.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Oil is changed regularly and I haven't had any problems. I am about to turn 100,000 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

When the light came on did you hear any unusual engine noise?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, no noises and did not notice any difference in how the car was performing.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

In most cases it the engine was not making any rattling noise due to low oil pressure and seems to run fine you are most likely dealing with a failing oil pressure sensor and not a bad oil pump. That being said, I would start with removing the oil pressure sensor and installing a Manuel gauge to verify you have proper oil pressure and if that checks okay then replace the oil pressure sensor.