rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I believe fuel pump : 199k : car ran and drove fine smooth

Customer Question

hello
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I believe fuel pump
JA: How has your mileage been lately? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 199k
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: car ran and drove fine smooth shifting and everything
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK! The Cadillac Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: what happens if.it runs out of.gas
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The best thing to do at this point is to check the fuel pressure and volume with a gauge, this will confirm a fueling issue or rule it out in case there is another problem that can be found with a scan tool.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hi ron what happens if a 2000 cadillac deville dts model runs completely out of gas when I turned the key I didnt hear the fuel pump.turn on thecar hasgoogle 199k miles but has run and shifted smooth with as far as I can tell no problems
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.

There isn't anything common to that problem, any car has the potential of this happening at any time. Parts do fail. This is why the importance of the test, if the pump is pumping too low, it needs to be replaced, BUT, if it's NOT pumping at all, then it can also be an electrical issue or a bad computer.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.