FIXITMAN, Master Technician

I have 2004 cadillac cts. The key turn but won't start.

Customer Question

I have 2004 cadillac cts. The key turn but won't start. Picture of car with key usually comes on. I've noticed this is a common problem for this model. I took to dealership and thet said nothing was wrong just needs battery but I know from reading other forums that that's not the problem. Can you help me
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Not sure. Car is in park
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm not quite sure what the problem is. I see many ppl have the same issue
JA: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should be aware of about your Cadillac?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok I ordered, how long for answer?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. I am sorry that nobody was able to get to the question sooner. Did you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is any one there?
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. Sorry but I was not online earlier. Most of the time this is caused by a bad ignition switch. This is the most common failure on this car. I typically start by trying the spare key if you have one as a worn out key will cause this. If the key does not help then the ignition switch needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This also causes the anti theft lock to activate as well (picture of car with lock around it)? I just want to make sure before I send to my mechanic
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 4 months ago.

Yes, it would definitely also cause this. It should be easy for them to diagnose it.