Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

2001 dts transmision fluid overflowing when idling,and

Customer Question

2001 dts transmision fluid overflowing when idling,and checking fluid level
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: yesterday,checked.../never been changed
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: transmision,sliping...pulled filler cap for transmision (while idling)..to put Lucas additive in it, but transmision fluid was flowing out of transmision./should I let some drain out and try the Lucas additive then..??*thanx
JA: Huh?
Customer: flowing out the filler tube..when I pulled the cap off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes..
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: speed sensor...just want to try the Lucas trans. treatment...before doing filter change.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: that's it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help you out with this.

You may have a clogged vent tube, top of the transmission. Clogged trans cooler lines or trans cooler.

Take a piece of wire or something and run it through, if it is clogged, it builds up pressure, and finds the easiest way to release itself, thus blowing out the dipstick tube cause there isn't much pressure holding it in.

Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

If your trans was slipping you may have already done damage and a overhaul would be the only way to fix. If you replace the filter. Look for any metal fragments or black clutch material in the bottom of the trans pan. This will give you a good idea of the overall health of the transmission.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Dan