Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

2009 Caddy DTS. Light smoke (burning smell) coming from

Customer Question

2009 Caddy DTS. Light smoke (burning smell) coming from between firewall and back of engine. Car has no drip puddles. Tranny fluid red and not burnt. Oil level shows Mobile 1 Syntec still good. Car's gaskets look good as there is no oil on the engine anywhere that I can see. Runs perfect. Not sure where temp guage should read througout the day; this one reads at exactly in the middle and doesn't fluctuate so I don't think it's getting abnormally hot.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The northstar engine you have is very common to leak oil between the case halves of the block. this would be very hard to see from the top, would need to look from under side with vehicle on a hoist.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I put it up on ramps and white paper down and it started dripping quite fast. It's not oil or tranny fluid. It's almost water like so I'm wondering is there a coolant hose back between the firewall and engine? The reason I wasn't seeing anything on the ground is because it's probably burning off rapidly.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

That is water from the evaporator drain tube, this is normal when the air conditioning is on, it may be possible that the hose was dripping onto the exhaust pipe causing the water to steam/smoke. You could try to route the hose in a different direction and see if that helps.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The drain hose should be between the engine and firewall on the passengers side.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

is there anything else I can help you with?