Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

My 91 deville will start but won't stay running,

Customer Question

My 91 deville will start but won't stay running, won't idle, and does when I put it in gear. I've done all the usual tuneup maintenance. What it's problem? It has 230,320 miles on it but it's a one owner vehicle who kept maintenance records and babied the hell out of it. Is it about to head to the boneyard or can i fix it?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

The engine in your 1991 Cadillac is computer controlled, so the first step would be to ask the onboard computer what's going on - we communicate with the computer through the Electronic Climate Control (EEC) panel on the dash. Please follow the instructions I've attached for you and let me know what the results are so we can take it from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think these are codes, I'm not sure but this is what all it displayed.....first E.9.6 came up, then E.0.1, after that E.0.0 displayed. Next a bunch of these showed up one right after the other....
.0 .......the P.0.8 thru P.1.1 were blank. If u skip them then they were blank.P.1.2
417 Then it just started over.

I'm sorry, but those numbers don't represent actual codes. As explained on the instructions I uploaded for you, history codes are represented by the letter E followed by the pertinent digits (ex: E12, E62, etc.). Current codes are represented by the letters E.E followed by the pertinent digits (ex: E.E12, E.E.62, etc.).

Let's say, for example, the engine won't start because there is no distributor signal to the onboard computer. Codes E12 and E.E12 will be displayed.

Another example; let's say the coolant sensor circuit is shorted. Codes E14 and E.E14 will be displayed.

I understand this diagnostic procedure can be difficult to follow for someone who is not used to doing this; unfortunately it is the only procedure available from GM.

All I can advice is to have patience and try to follow those instructions without any kind of deviation.

I have to log off now. I'm online weekdays from 2 to 8PM EST. Will check on your progress then.