rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

CTS overheat warning then the engine went into the reduced

Customer Question

CTS overheat warning then the engine went into the reduced power mode. Found to be low on coolant. Added coolant and the engine appears to be running normal and the temperature remains steady at about 205-210degrees F. Indicator still says low power mode and engine check light still on. Does this reset itself or do I have to do that manually?
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No but I can borrow one.
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Cadillac Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, if the problem was simply the low coolant. If the issue returns I would certainly take it in to get checked out.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: Not really... It's a 2012 3.6 CTS4 with about 45k miles. To be honest, because the reservoir/overflow tank is not transparent, I have overlooked checking the level when I do regular maintenance. Something I'll have to remember from now on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Okay, get the codes read first, then re-training the computer system following this attached doc.

Thanks, Ron