Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My name is , I recently purchased a 2005 Cadillac XLR. Over

Customer Question

Hello, my name is Nelson, I recently purchased a 2005 Cadillac XLR. Over the last 30 days the car has suffered a complete System shutdown three times. This has happened under various driving conditions Highway and city. Took the car into my local Cadillac dealership to have it checked out... They were unable to find the source of my problem.... They attempted to re-create the shutdown condition doing road tests... With no luck. I stated to the mechanic that the car felt like it had run out of gas..... Each time the car stalled on me I attempted to restart with no luck, but after sitting for 15 to 20 minutes the car would restart... Additionally, no code stored in vehicle system.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** most common thing to fail like this is the fuel pump. It can often cause loss of pressure then start working again once it is cooled off without turning on check engine light. You can buy a fuel pressure tester from parts store for around $25 and next time problem happens connect the fuel pressure tester to see if pressure is lower then normal if so replace your fuel pump. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.