Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I own a 2005 Cadillac STS and just today, it won't engage

Customer Question

Hello I own a 2005 Cadillac STS and just today, it won't engage when I put it in gear. The enginge Just revs. Also, the car made a grinding noise and it slipped/ jerked sometimes.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** will try to assist you

is there any check engine light on , or abs traction light on ? when u move the selector to drive gear , i know it is not engaging but is it showing on display that it went from P to D

and check transfluid while the car is running , is it red , brown or black color ,and when u wipe the trans oil dipstic ,with a rag or paper , look and see is there any debris , like shaved metal that u can see in the trans oil ,lastly How many miles on car ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
check engine light and I can see it shift into different gears. Just doesn't move. I will check the fluid. Also the car moves a little after it had been sitting for 20-30 minutes

check fluid let me know , it doesnt sound good if u say 20 30 min it will move a little , how many miles if i may ask on vehicle ? and when it does move a little while pressing the gaz does rpm rise high comparing to the movement of the car

hey u still with me ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey Sir, the fluid is okay. Forgot to mention that there was a humming sound a few days before and it was more noticeable when the car broke down. It moves a little but when you increase RPMs very high. Also, it won't go backwards, even when you put it in reverse.

HE YOU STILL THERE

HOW MANY MILES ON VEHICLE ? AND HAVE U DONE AND TRSN SERVICE , LIKE FILETR & FLUID CHANGE ? IF U CAN TELL ME ?

FIRST ,1- SCANING RETIEVING TCM CODES (TRANS CODES WIL BE IDEAL , I BET SOME WILL BE THERE INDICATING TRANS FAULT) TO CONFIRM WHAT WE HAVE , GRINDING NOISE ARE NOT GOOD ,USUALY INTERNAT)

2- YOU CAN ALWAYS TRY , FRESH TRAN OIL & FILTER

3- IT IS ACTING LIKE A FAILED TRANSMISSION , SO BEST THING TAKE IT HAVE IT CHECKED , AND HAVE IT REBUILD , NOW DAYS ,U CAN DO IT AROUND 1300 WITH WARRANTY

IF U GET THE CODES LET ME KNOW , I WILL TELL YOU WHAT THE ARE

A 5 STAR POSITIVE RATING IS MUCH APRECIATTED.

THE POST WILL STAY OPEN FOR YOU TO ASK ME FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS ON THIS MATTER EVEN AFTER YOU RATE ME .

THANK YOU & GOOD LUCK. LET ME KNOW IF U NEED ANYTHING ELSE .

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry, I never told u the mileage. It has about 176k miles

IT DOES HAVE HIGH MILEAGE U ORIGNAL OWNER

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Oops, had the transmission oil and filter changed About 15 months ago

WELL , IF SHE GAVE U 176K ON ORIGNAL TRANNY , SHE DID GOOD :)

PLEASE REMMBER TO RATE ME CAUSE THAT IS HOW WE GET COMPENSATED .

IF YOU HAVE MORE QUESTIONS AND U NEED TO ANSWER U CAN POST THEM STARTING WITH ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ORCustomer). THANKS AGAIN