Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1991 Cadillac Deville needed a jump start...put it in N to

Customer Question

1991 Cadillac Deville needed a jump start...put it in N to push back to allow a car in front to jump start and then put it back in PARK. Cable were hooked up correctly but one of the cables slipped on the dead battery and the handles touched...sparking and a small flane appeared before we quickly disconnected it...now car wont shift out of PARK...even after fully charging the battery. Car runs great but wont move as it wont come out of PARK.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the brake lights work?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they did before...I dont know now...I would have to charge up the battery to see.
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Charge up battery and check to see if they work. Let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That will take some time....never had a problem shifting out of park and into gear until this happened
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

You probably have a blown fuse somewhere, if all the fuses are good then the shift solenoid may have failed. Keep me updated on lgihts, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dan....the brake lights work and the engine is running. I dont have a clue as to where to look for a blown fuse or which ones or which locations to look.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
headlights..brake lights..blinkers all work....engine still running just wont shift out of PARK.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I knew it would be some kind of fuse...but where? which one? which location? please help...the car is in the middle of my driveway and I cant move it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please reply....you asked me to keep you posted on if the brake lights work and I said they do...havent heard back from you..please help
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is this all the help I get? I already KNEW it must be some kind of fuse that blew when the battery terminals were inadvertantly connected but I may be looking many many hours and still not find the problem so I trusted this site to help but so far....no help at all...still cant move the running car because it wont shift out of park. PLEASE HELP
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Check the 20 amp fuse in location 19 of the interior fuse box. Let me know if it is blown, thanks.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok....I checked it and its good
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked the fuse in 19 and its good....what else should I check?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked every fuse in the fuse box to the lower left of the steering wheel....none are blown
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Next step is to access the shift lock solenoid and check black wire for ground and green/white wire for power when brakes are pressed. Let me know, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb5f8f6in0bzpa4/interlocks.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok ty....I just got home...I will look for it...I dont have a tester so maybe I have to go to an auto parts store and buy one....I see the diagram...I will try to locate it
Expert:  Dan replied 11 months ago.

Sounds good, let me know. Thanks.