Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Have the same issue as many cadillac owners, intermitent

Customer Question

have the same issue as many cadillac owners, intermitent starting issues. Turn ignition key and nothing, wait a few minutes and do it again and again and eventually it clicks and starts, then the rest of the day I am ok, until the next morning or maybe the morning after that when same thing happens, battery is fine and everything else comes on when I turn key..
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: park or neutral doesn't matter,,, yes I have steering wheel lock.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: willing to take it in if it doesn't cost alot to fix
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: no everything else pretty much normal...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** year and model Cadillac? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2001 deville, lots of people out there with same issue, it is intermittent, turn key nothing happens, after a number of attempts, starts right up like nothing happened, then through out the day, no problems, only time I have had problem starting is in morning after car has been parked in garage all night... all lights and other functions work, not battery issue, and trying to jump it doesn't work.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
During no start problem do you even hear a click when trying to start?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is it an additional $26 to talk on phone or the same amount as stated when I signed up,,, $5 deposit, then $21...
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
It would cost an additional $26 to talk on the phone but we should be able to handle this over chat.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't think it clicks when it doesn't start, then it does click for sure when it does start. Can't tell right now since it wouldn't start until a few tries this morning and now starts everytime...
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
Have you tried starting it in neutral to see if that helps?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
does not start in neutral either, until a few tries over the course of a few minutes
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
It sounds like your starter is the problem. Next time problem happens remove starter relay from under hood and use a paperclip or wire to jump pin 87 to pin 30. If starter still doesn't turn over replace the starter. This is about a $400 job to have done at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do you know how I would find the starter relay ? would the location be in the owners manual?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.
It is #41 in following picture. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.-