tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  own's repair shop 25yrs

98 Eldorado,Northstar, Coincidence or not.......I ran

Customer Question

98 Eldorado,Northstar, Coincidence or not.......I ran completely out of gas 4 days ago.
Ever since then I have had an issue with Very Rough Running, Stalling, Lurching and every 30 seconds or so a complete electrical shut down . Car will run at idle most of the time .
Replaced the Idle Throttle Control Valve , Replaced Fuel Filter. Was told maybe EGR Valve.
Codes first read to replace Idle Throttle Control Valve, Now it reads 02 Sensor needs replaced.....
Any thoughts of a professional nature would be helpful
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 5 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.
i think you may now need to test the fuel pressure..these must have no less than 48psi at all times..what will happen sometimes when you run out of fuel,is the pump will pick up dirt/drugs from the bottom of the tank and may damage the fuel pump,this causing a loss of pressure.
this would give an o2 sensor code[usually a lean code]
if the pressure is low the fix is to replace the fuel pumpthanks
Pressure48 - 55 psi
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]. the link doesn’t work that way, try it this If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How would Loss of fuel Pressure make all these electric issues Tim and thank you for your helpTerry
it wouldnt cause an electrical problem,,please explain to me what is going on electrical
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Every 30 - 45 seconds everything electric will shut down completely and then restart almost immediately. Normally but not always causing a stall..... This happens more if your in motion but will also occur at idle.....
Some home mechanics ( friends) have suggested E.G.R. Valve, Some have said o2 Sensors.... Some say it is a separate and single electric problem unrelated to anything else..... I have been to Auto Zone twice to have the OBD codes read. The first time resulted in my buying and replacing the Idle Air Control Valve. No Fix and I went back for more codes that said o2 sensor that I have not yet put on. Its hard to get at under the car and I dont move about as well as I used to. (65 now)
Anyway I say to all my backyard mechanics I need professional help.....So I have you.....
i would think your electrical problem is a bad ignition switch.none of the items you say you replaced has anything to do with the electrical