Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with the URPA on my 2008

Customer Question

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with the URPA on my 2008 Cadillac EXT
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I constantly get the "Service Parking Assist" message on the dashboard. I've replaced the wiring harness, checked the fuse, and the sensors all seem to be working.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the wiring harness, checked the fuse, the sensors are working and beep when I get close to an object.
JA: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should be aware of about your Cadillac?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was able to do the diagnostics and here is what I see on the three indicator lights... the first two turn an Amber color while the third one is out.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Disregard the last comment. I'm not sure how to short the rear parking assist display.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The Service Parking Assist light comes on when the system sees a fault and when this happens the system well set and store a fault code and or codes. The first thing you need to do is to scan the system and see what the fault code and or codes are that should be setting. Cadillac has also released a service bulletin dealing with this type of problem that may apply. I have enclosed it in the link below . Have a look and see if its does. If not, post back with your fault codes and we can work from there. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I do not have a scanner to determine the DTC code (s) or to clear them. Can any local auto parts store do this for me with their scanner or does it need to be done by the dealer?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately these type of codes usually can not be retrieved with a code reader that most parts store use. Usually it requires a full scan tool. It would not hurt to at least try it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is scanning something a dealer would charge me? I called yesterday and they wanted $220 to diagnose it.I did some research online and found some forums that mentioned there's another way to diagnose the issue but it involves shorting the rear parking assist display and I'm not sure how to do that.
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Your dealer will likely want to charge but you may want to consider stopping by your local repair shop and they can do it for you and usually for a fraction of what the dealer will want. I suspect the service bulletin is going to apply but the scan would be needed to verify. I would not be shorting anything out as it could cause more damage.