Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Can some one help me with my 2006 Cadillac CTS? The driver

Customer Question

Can some one help me with my 2006 Cadillac CTS? The driver side window will not go up or down. I have replaced the motor, door module, regulator, and the master switch. I have verified I have 12VDC present at the module from the 30A breaker, and have 12vdc to the module from the 10A fuse, and have verified a good ground to both of these feeds as well. I can take the module from the driver door and install it in the passenger door, and I have taken the motor from the driver door and plugged in the pigtail from the passenger door, and the motor runs properly there , thus verifying that both the module and motor are good. Could there be something in the computer that is preventing my window from operating? I do not have a OEM compatible scan tool to trouble shoot it. Any advice?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** GM factory trained technician. I will be happy to help you with your Cadillac.Sorry to hear you cant get the windows to operate correctly electrical problems can be tough to diagnose. It seem you have done all of the proper tests checking for power and ground to the drivers window switch.Unfortunately after the drivers door module has been replaced it must be programmed to the vehicle with the correct RPO codes before the window will work. You need to start here first before anything else is done. After reprogramming the DDM the window should work correctly. Some independent shops and all GM dealers can reprogram the DDM for around 80 to 100 dollars. If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated so i can receive credit. I will continue to work with you even after rated, and get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.Derek W
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We just recently purchased this car and the window did not work when we got it. I figured it would be an easy fix, apparently I was wrong. Is it possible for the DDM to loose it's programming if it set without a dead battery for a period of time. The guy we bought it from did not disclose it but one could tell that the car had sat for a period of time. I have read on forums that jump starting the car could cause this problem. My confusion is in why will the module work fine in the passenger door, but not in the driver door? Different codes? One final question, would I be able to reprogram the DDM if I had an OEM version of scan tool? I can purchase online for $150 to $200 and I already have a USB ELM327 interface.
I am unsure why it would work in the passenger side. Are you installing the old or new module in the passenger side door. I am getting this information straight from the GM service website. New modules must require replacement. It is possible the Module had lost its programming due to a electrical jump starting problem. A J2534 passthrough programming device, and a battery maintainer is needed for software reprogramming. Like this one, The cheap programmers usually do not work and cause bigger problems so it is more cost effective to take the car to a dealership.
Is the drivers door module you installed a new module from GM?
A factory capable scan tool is also needed to scan for codes from the Drivers door module, once codes are read this will help in aiding with proper diagnostics. The USB scan tool can not communicate with the Drivers door module. You will need a scan tool, from a company like snap on, or Autel to scan the DDM.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the drivers door module you installed a new module from GM?No, I first wanted to try a replacement from a junk yard. I purchased a used replacement from a 2007 CTS. Both my original and my replacement act exactly the same, they both work fine in the passenger door, but do not work in the driver door. All functions work with both modules except the drivers window.
Sorry i know this is not the information you want to hear, unfortunately to properly diagnose the window systems on this vehicle can be very complicated compared to later model cars. The Modules communicate to each other over a data bus and a fault code can prevent the window from working making the system to diagnose without any factory tools. I can help walk you through testing the basics if you want, but it sounds like you have done a good job of this.
A module installed from another vehicle will have that specific vin written into it, if the module is used. Thus requiring reprogramming to wipe out the old VIN to the new vehicle.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Another note, the passenger window will not go down with the button on the passenger door. However it will go up. The passenger window works in both directions with the button on the master switch. Does that add any value to a diagnosis?
The reason why i think it works in the passenger side, is the passenger door module workes as a slave module. The vehicles BCM and ECM communicate with the drivers door module as the master control module. On the passenger side that module only receives info from the window switches not data communication from other modules.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bot***** *****ne, sound like my best option is to take it to a dealer. You are right, it is not what I wanted to hear, but you did confirm what I already knew what was necessary to get this corrected. Thanks for your help
that is useful there could be a fault in the switch. Yeah i would start with the programming of the drivers door module first. Then that can be eliminated to start withproperly diagnosing any other faults. If the window still does not work they should be able to at least scan for the fault code in the system and let you know what they are. After you do this and still have a problem i can help you with testing the system properly if needed. I am assuming with all the work you have already done it should start working after this is done. Thanks Derek