Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

Have to move the lever back and forth back and forth many

Customer Question

have to move the lever back and forth back and forth many times turning mission on of moved lever back and forth sometimes it will finally start I just assume it is a neutral safety switch my battery is getting low if I go off I will have to charge and get back on thank you everything is not working good for me
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I have to try to fix it myself my motorhome is broke my car is broke I am broke on Social Security car was given to me 1995 Cadillac Seville
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: just moving this shift your back and forth several times got it started before but this time it is not working is difficult for me to get underneath just had a pacemaker put in try to look down to the top to find it do not see too good now either just getting old ma mechanic for 50 years Worx many Cadillacs Pontiac Chevrolet funny car driver funny car engine builder cannot do that stuff anymore I cannot be around Magneto cannot check my transmission fluid under hood while car is running too much electrical current for my pacemaker so I am stuck
JA: Mama used to grow flowers when we were back in Detroit and sell them at the market. It was more of a hobby really.
Customer: Lol
JA: Many things can cause transmission trouble. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: lost the fopsometimes have to hotwire under hood to make it run past the security system
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. What usually causes this fault here is a fault with broken wires at the ignition cylinder itself with the cylinder needing replaced.A new key needs obtained as well when it is replaced.The wires break off of the back of it that read the chip in the key and with you shifting causes the wires to reconnect temporarily to start.The repair cost can run around $150 in some cases.You can also bypass it if you have a multi meter and some basic electrical skills I can tell you how to do this here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete