sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

1990 Cad Eldorado. While car is moving and braking idol will

Customer Question

1990 Cad Eldorado. While car is moving and braking idol will not go below 1300 rpm whether in gear or not. Once stopped engine goes back to proper idol. Idol solenoid has been changed to new. No vacuum leaks I can find. Throttle position sensor not changed yet.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist is this the 4.5???if it is, then there is a motor that controls the idle on the throttle body. is that what was changed??? Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is the 4.5. I have a new throttle position sensor to install if needed. A pain.
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
ok, when you start it the shaft should push out and then retract to the low idle. does the motor do this??? also, when you turn off the engine, the motor should extend the shaft all the way out Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It works as advertised. The car stays at high idol in neutral or drive when stopping. 1300 rpm. When stopped it goes to normal. Seems the idol is being controlled by the speed of the car rather than the throttle position
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
as advertised??? please explain??? does it work the way I asked???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it works properly.
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, I need specific answers to my questions if I am to help. you keep giving me general answers which are not answering my questions. I cannot continue unless you answer my questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a new solenoid. I did not trust the old one. I did adjust the idol with the stop screw first before I hooked up the solenoid
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 year ago.
ok, it can be new but I need to verify the action is correct. you see, I still dont have an answer to keep helping you. Roy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the action is correct.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well never did get an answer. I seem to have annoyed Roy.
I assume that you have not resolved the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Its ok, I think this was a mistake in the first place . Also did not expect anyone to be working Saturday night. Consider this transaction done. You have a good night.
Have a great night yourself.