sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

91 Cadillac Fleetwood 5.0 starts runs stalls when put in gear

Customer Question

91 Cadillac Fleetwood 5.0 starts runs stalls when put in gear stalls after idling for a few minutes starts back up
Have changed temperature sensor at front of motor map sensor idle air control valve ECM fuel pump fuel filter cap wires plugs O2 sensor grounds in front of engine are good Grounds at ECM are good
Starts idles for 5 minutes and shuts off starts runs fine put it in gear shuts off please help
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  roybelding replied 5 months ago.
good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist how long until it re starts??? Roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok, thanks. if it was fuel related, it would be an extended crank. it sounds like a spark loss. have you change the module and pick up in the distributor??? very common failure for this issue Roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It will stay running if I keep my foot on the throttle
ok, so it does not stall, new info. then the idle control is done through the idle air control motor and the throttle body itself. make sure the plate is good and clean with no carbon build up Roy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When a car that's supposed to idle on its own shuts off we call that stalling
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the engine will stay running if the throttle is opened then you do likely have an idle air control related issue. Where the throttle body and IAC cleaned as mentioned above?