sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My driver's side seat (the lumbar/back section) has

Customer Question

Hello. My driver's side seat (the lumbar/back section) has stopped going all the way back. it does tilt back and forth slightly (about and inch in either direction)but no more than about the halfway mark.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Will someone contact me here regarding this issue Pearl?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes I am actually
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: no thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the seat back does move partially but is not able to move fully in either direction then either something is physically blocking movement, the recliner motor is failing, or there is a mechanical issue with the recliner mechanisms preventing movement. Depending on what the vehicle is it may require replacement of the seat adjuster assembly.What year and model is the vehicle?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2012 cts coupe 3.6
On your car the recliner motor is inside the seatback itself and the recliner mechanisms are serviced with the seat back frame. The motor is available separately.If nothing foreign appears to be lodged in the seat then diagnosing the issue is going to require removal of the rear seat back cover, most likely the seat back and the motor to see if the seat will move freely. If it does recline freely by hand or the motor will not continue to run when powered without being attached to the seat then the motor will need to be replaced.