Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

JA: . How can we help? Customer: While driving

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: While driving after having my battery replaced a few days ago and just changing my radiator and starter from a junk yard my car had been running great just now everything on the dash dimmed and I had to stop now the car won't start and there's a clicking noise coming from the fuse box under the seat when I try to start it
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: My battery is at 12.3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
Hello, i am here and going over your story to see how i can be of assistance, Lou P.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well I was driving the middle country Road here in Suffolk County and my dashboard lights just started to Dedman out my car slowed down and then I pulled over to the side and try to restart it and all I hear is a clicking noise coming from my back fuse box underneath my seat
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just replaced the battery terminals are tightly secured my battery voltage is running out about 12.4
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't know if it could be the fuses I just had the alternator replaced but it was replaced by salvage yard
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
ok, if the battery is at 12.3 that tells me that you a loose connection or the alternator is not charging
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just need to get this thing on the road and fix it without having to tow it if possible
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What are my options here then
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
what model and year cadillac?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2000 Cadillac Deville DTS
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
apparently you have a meter with you?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
ok give me a second.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No my dashboard tells me the readout about my battery is
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
ok, but the dash goes out when trying to crank it correct? so that does not tell us if the battery voltage drops lower than 12.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes when I crank it my dashboard to go out but my battery says 12.9 V OK
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
man, with so many recent repairs its possible the power cable is loose on either the starter or the alternator. with the dash dimming out tells me you lost power regardless of what the voltage is showing, i dont think there is anything we can do without a meter and accessing all the fuses to make sure there is battery power at all points in the car.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How long am I signed up for the service for if I get my car home would you be able to work through getting this all completed for me today
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
we can continue as long as needed my friend i am here to help.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
so when you get home and ready just reply back to this chat and we can continue.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great I just have to figure out how to get this thing home in your expert advice do you think a Nother starter is going to be needed or alternator
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
eh...... maybe alternator but that is a very rough guess, i am leaning toward poor connection
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does it help if I just jumped it and drove it for about an eighth of a mile and a diet again
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm going to work on getting it towed back now I just have to see if I have the funds
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
yes that tells me the alternator is not charging then.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Does that mean I need a new alternator
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 months ago.
It could, but again until we test some things i would hate for you to go and buy parts on my guess at this point