Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2001 Cadillac DTS my computer reads to service Stability

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Cadillac DTS my computer reads to service Stability System at that time my abs
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have a 2001 Cadillac DTS my computer reads to check my Stability System now my abs, brake ans control system lights are on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: only looked on line foy ideas on what the problem might be
JA: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should be aware of about your Cadillac?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
Both the ABS and the Stability System use inputs from many of the same sensors to do their jobs correctly. This can also affect the brake system depending on where the problem lies. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of parts and sensors that these systems all have in common. More common on these vehicles is a faulty Wheel Speed Sensor (aka "ABS Sensor") or a problem with the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM). Unfortunately, at this point, the Diagnostic Trouble Codes will need to be scanned from the on-board computer. With so many possible causes, taking a guess as to which has the problem and being correct would be impossible. SOME local parts stores, like AutoZone, may have the correct scan-tool to read the codes. If you can find one that does, they will do so for Free. If not, a shop will be needed. Once you have these trouble codes, you can more accurately and efficiently determine the root of the problem and then make the correct repair. I'm sorry I could not be more specific and I'm sure this wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but unfortunately, scanning the trouble codes is the first step in the diagnostic procedure for this type of problem. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
..