tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  own's repair shop 25yrs
14541291

I have a 2005 Cadillac SRX that has a new VIN

Customer Question

Hello,I have a 2005 Cadillac SRX that has a new VIN programmed ECU. Once we installed the ECU the car started up, but only ran for 5 seconds before shutting off. We assumed it was due to needing to complete the key relearn sequence. We did the sequence 11 on 30 sec off x3. This did not change. We also cannot remove the key. We disconnected the battery cables and clipped them together. We tried to complete the sequence this time following these instructions: 10 on until the security light goes off then of for five. However, the security light never goes off. We were always able to successfully complete the relearn with the old ecm. We replaced the ecm because of various electrical issues, starting issues, etc.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 9 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.
do the 30 minute relearn this way..30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure 1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start). 3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF. 4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds. 5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle. 6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password). 7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).
be sure to trun the starter as step 2 suggests.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We tried it that way. The security light is not shutting of. It used to with the old ecm.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi any thoughts on what next steps should be?
i would think that if the security light isnt going off..you need to replace the lock cylinder,and then do the relarn procedurethanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Tim,My husband replaced the cylinder and we have a new key. He is doing the relearn with this.
let me know how it gos?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still no luck. The car will start and run for a few seconds and cut off. The key will not come out of the ignition. He removed it by using the button under the steering wheel. Any other thoughts?Thanks
the only other thing would be the ignition switch itself
for some reason the passlock sensor isnt working..\replace the complete switch