Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752

2005 Deville blowing cold on driver's side, hot on passengers

Customer Question

2005 Deville blowing cold on driver's side, hot on passengers side. How is this fixed without remortgaging the house?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: during the summer, when I turn on the air conditioning, it works on the drivers side but the passengers vents blow out only hot air and cannot be controlled by the dash control buttons. Changing the temperature on the passenger side or trying to turn it off on that side is also not working
JA: You're in good hands. The mechanics are bona fide experts, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one to suss out any problems with the dash you might be having. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not really but I have a nephew who might be able to do it,
JA: OK! The Cadillac Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: It has a 120,000+ miles on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
From what you are describing here, it sounds like the passenger's side Air Temp Actuator has failed. This is a little motor that turns the door internal of the HVAC Housing to switch between heat and A/C as commanded by the control panel. These are actually fairly common GM fail items. The passenger's side actuator is located behind the glove compartment, mounted to the right side of the HVAC housing. So, to gain access, the glove compartment will need to be removed. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, remove the actuator and turn the door pin by hand. The temp should now output correctly. If not, the problem lies internal of the HVAC housing. It will need to be removed, opened, and the internal door repaired as needed. This is a huge job as the dash will need to be removed. If everything does check ok, replace the actuator. The actuator sells for around $65 and the Labor Time Guide calls for a little under and hour to complete the job. For an image location view of the actuator, click here (glove box already removed): https://www.dropbox.com/s/owxqawvzvrdheho/cad-act.jpg?dl=0If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate or accept my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 7 months ago.
..