Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc
77508644

Heated seats front and rear just stopped working. All the

Customer Question

Heated seats front and rear just stopped working. All the switches light up as should. All the fuses look good unless there are more fuses I need to check. This may or may not have happened after I disconnected and reconnected the battery. I don't think all the elements can go bad at once and ifthey did I should play the lottery. Something must be causing these seats to not work all at once. No codes. There has got to be one main source that sends a signal to all the seats. I don't buy that this is a individual seat problem because they all went out at once. 2000 Deville. BTW I would like to buy a membership before I pay for this answer because I am sure the cost of this question would cover a membership. Ron
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Didn't I just reply to you?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
I see a IGN 3 fuse that feeds all the heated seats. Is that the fuse you checked?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Never mind, I see they automatically closed that other question because I sent it in.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just did, that fuse is a relay and it is good.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
I read that it is a fuse. If it's a relay, how did you check it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I looked in the owners manual and looked at the ign3 position and it was a relay. Then I went to the fuse box and looked at the diagram on the fuse box and found the same. I replaced the relay with another one and the seats still didn't work so I assumed the original relay is good.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should the relay click or something when I turn on the heated seat? Well it doesn't.if it's supposed to.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Ok, I see it. There is a relay named ign 3 and also a fuse named ign 3.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Fuse #34 is the ign 3 fuse.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Just to the right of that relay and second down, just below the fuse #35
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
CHECKING NOW........
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
FUSE IS GOOD. WE NEED TO EXPLORE OTHER AREAS, SOMETHING IS CAUSING THESE SEATS NOT TO TURN ON.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Did you test that fuse for voltage? If not, do that now before anything else.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You mean put a test light in the fuse socket and see if it's getting juice?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
yes, or a voltmeter.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
DOES THE IGNITION HAVE TO BE ON? BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LIGHT NOR DO A COUPLE OF FUSES AROUND IT. BUT OTHER FUSES DO LIGHT.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
No, it should be hot at all times. Let me see what feeds that fuse.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
That fuse is fed from the IGN 3 relay and that relay is fed from ignition switch.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
SO WHAT DO i DO?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Check the IGN SW fuse in the rear fuse block.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
That would be fuse #29.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
The IGN 3 relay should click when the key is turned t run. I believe you said it doesn't.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Here are the POWER DISTRIBUTION wiring diagrams, the IGN 3 fuse and relay is on the page #8.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
FUSE #29 IS GOOD. YOU WILL HAVE TO SIMPLIFY THINGS FROM HERE. IF THE RELAY DOESN'T CLICK THEN WHAT. I WILL DOUBLE CHECK THAT ANYWAY
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
When checking fuses, you must also check it for voltage.Remove the relay and test the terminals in the relay's socket for voltage. One should be hot with the key off and When you turn the key from off to run, an additional should be hot. If the second isn't true, the relay also will not click when it's put back in. so check for voltage leaving the ignition switch along the orange wire when the key is on run, but first make sure you checked that fuse #29 with a test light or voltmeter.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when you turn the ignition on yes both sockets light up.. Taking a half hour break now.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so now what. Your the expert but I still don't think my problem lies in the fuse box.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
If you have voltage at 2 terminals inside that relay's socket, no voltage at fuse #29 and you swapped that relay, try a new relay. Did wherever you swapped that relay to work now? What relay was it anyhow? Other than that, if that relay is ok now, then the wire between the relay and the fuse is open or shorted.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Do you want to answer those questions?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have to go outside and check but assuming fuse 29 is good and the relay is good where do we go from here. How did we determine we have no voltage at 29? I don't remember saying that.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Fuse #29 is the IGN SW fuse in the rear fuse block.How do you know the relay is good?Did wherever you swapped that relay to work now? What relay was it anyhow?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Any news?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just came in, fuse 29 is live with test light and the relay now that I put my finger on it you can hear and feel it clicking away. When I pulled it out with the car running the dashboard went crazy, plugged it back in it started clicking and the dash lights went out so I would say it's working.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Yeah, fuse #29 should be ok, since the relay socket did have voltage at 2 spots. It's fuse #34, that IGN 3 fuse that should have power if the relay is working.Yeah, that relay also powers the instrument cluster.So, if the fuse #34, that IGN 3 fuse has no voltage the wire from the relay to the fuse is most likely open or shorted. You could run a jumped fused wire right from the battery positive post for now just to make sure that the heaters do work.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What are you talking about? Where in this conversation did fuse #34 appear to be bad? I never said that.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
That was way back:CustomerFUSE IS GOOD. WE NEED TO EXPLORE OTHER AREAS, SOMETHING IS CAUSING THESE SEATS NOT TO TURN ON.4 May 2016, 2:49 PMMeDid you test that fuse for voltage? If not, do that now before anything else.4 May 2016, 2:53 PM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
At 3:06 you said, "IT DOESN'T LIGHT"So that answers you recent question.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
And to explain. I am not saying the fuse is bad, I am concerned if it is getting voltage or not and from what you said, it's not getting voltage from that relay.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I just came in again and tested every fuse with the car running the only fuses to not light up are 10 and 13. 10 is night vision which I don't have and I forgot what 13 is. So lets look somewhere else
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Where?Does the fuse #34, that IGN 3 fuse have voltage when the key is on?Now you are saying it does?You are loosing me now.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Again all four heated seats go out at once? Isn't there a module or something that controls this. All four at once should narrow down the diagnosis. I think we can rule out the fuse box as all fuses work other than the ones I mentioned
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
I am opting out. At first you said At 3:06 , "IT DOESN'T LIGHT". Leading me on a wild goose chase. Now you tell me it does have voltage, so I am opting out.
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 8 months ago.
okay, why did you disconnect the battery first off, was it replaced? you don't have any issues shifting out of park do you?