K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Cadillac Seville: OK, here's the dilemma...I have a 1992 Caddy

Customer Question

OK, here's the dilemma...I have a 1992 Caddy Seville. The passenger front door lock was not working. I think that before I put the new one in the key hole light would light, and the inside courtesy lights would come on, but since replacing the door lock actuator the lock now works with its own switch and the master door switch, but now no key hole light and also no interior courtesy lights com on at all. The all work perfectly on all other doors too. My thought was like int he old school days when a door jamb switch would stick shut....so, can you answer this electrical query.
Thank you
Chazz
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK to clear up what the issue is here.....The car was purchased with a passenger front door lock not working with the key fob or switch. It was like the actuator for the lock was jammed or just not working. The interior lights did come on when opening the door, as well as the lighted key hole worked. When you pushed the Illumination button on the key-fob, no courtesy lights. I bought a new door lock actuator, installed it, and now the door locks with the switch, and the key-fob as well. My query is that now that I have the lock working, when opening the passenger front door, no interior courtesy lights come on, and the key ring light on the outside lock does not come on either. All other doors operate as they should, open the doors and courtesy lights work just fine. Is there a solution to this query?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Hello, the door ajar switch and the outside keyhole light are built into the actuator. It's possible there's a bad connection where the new one is plugged in or that part of it is bad. Do you happen to still have the old one around just to swap them out memontarily to see if this is the case?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, yes, I always keep my old parts for that very same thing. But boy it was a bear taking it out the first time, but I assume I could give it a try again, to make sure....I do know that sometimes even new parts can be faulty....so, is it that I can just unplug the new one and plug in the old one, making sure it is grounded of course, and check it out this way? Also, if the old one allows the lights to work again, then I am assuming the actuator (new) is bad is that right?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
That's correct. I'm failry certain that's the issue. Be sure to check the plug good before removing new one. It's the one on the top part of the actuator.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check that all out thank you....on the same issue so to speak, I mentioned that the key fobs illumination button did not light the car up at night...or when you unlock the car and the interior lights were supposed to come on..I have looked at the wiring schematics and did a few tests, what I am concluding here is if the passenger door had a faulty actuator, and not working correctly would that cause the illumination feature with the remote RKE not to work?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the illumination is tripped by the door ajar switch when the acutator trips it from the RKE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to work on a few things and then get back on this to see if that is going to be the best fix. Are there any differences with the actuator, meaning are there several types to be sure I actually got the correct one?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
GM is only showing one part # ***** that latch on that side
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK< cool, I will look at it again once I retry the old one again to see if the lights come back on....if the lights work as they should but only the door lock doesn't that is indicating a bad new actuator correct? I am assuming it would, if so, then I need to have it replaced again...ON a different note, I noticed my Twilight sentinel worked when I bought the car, and it doesn't now, any quickie suggestions from that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OH was wondering if you know....does this year have the DOOR AJAR message on the DIC in the dash...?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
That's correct on the old onePretty sure there's a "door ajar" warning on this model (been a while) With the twilight sentinal there's a light sensor that usually goes bad. I'll post a pic below, it's on the drivers side dash left of the speaker
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** help when I get to that area....:O)....I am going to try to get that door actuator tested Sunday morning so I can be ready for that outcome. I will keep you posted on what I come up with in case any other questions arise.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, I'll be around later Sunday afternoon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello K,
OK, DOH, I checked out the new actuator again, OK my bad I forgot to plug the top plug all the way in. So, Front passenger door locks, and opening the door all lights come on again....so, I am also back to the issue of the key fob button. When I push the unlock button the courtesy lights do not come on (only when I open the doors), and if I push the illumination button on the key fob also nothing happens.....any suggestions....
I looked at the wire schematic as I mentioned, I also, looked at the RKE module....the repair said to look I believe on the module harness (gray wire) it said that there should be continuous 12V at the gray wire, if not, look at an open ground at #157 which is the wires from the door switches. I assumed that the front door actuator not working could have been the culprit....so, any suggestions for this, or what commonly does happen with this scenario.
Thank you,
Chazz
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.
The information I have for the key less entry part of the illumination is not very good. Let me open this up to other experts, someone should be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good K. thank you.......as I am wondering if this is something that goes out frequently with the Cadillac's....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello K,
OK, I replaced the RAPIE module in the car, and that did not work for the lights when you unlock the car....so, what we have looked at is replaced the module, door actuator, and the checked all fuses and relays, and so I am stumped as to what would actually cause the Illumination feature with the unlock button and the illumination button.....do you have any other suggestions...