Roy Scarlett
Roy Scarlett,
Experience:  Auto Mechanics Teacher at Levittown Schools

Cadillac SRX: I have a 2011 SRX that my wife left in drive,

Customer Question

I have a 2011 SRX that my wife left in drive, turned it off and went in the house. It rolled back against the garage door so that it will not open. I went out and got in the car pressed the brake and put it in park. Everything went dead like it was shutting down in a protective mode against theft or something. Nothing works. It won't start, nothing responds to the key fob. No lights, no power at all. Is there a magic button or some sequence of steps I have o do to get the power back on? This happened once before and she was stranded in a mall parking lot. I had to go resque her with a jump start. That was the only thing that would wake it up.. But this time I can't even jump start it because it is against the garage door and I can't get the back hatch door open. Are there any magic tricks that will get this thing back online? I know the battery is fine. it has never failed to start except for these two instances of leaving it in drive instead of park.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help with your problem. It does sound like the battery is dead, but it could be something else. Do you have power to anything lights, radio, etc.?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, no power anywhere. But it was fine when she pulled into the garage. It didn't go dead until I stepped on the brake and put it in park and tried to start it. The park lights flashed a few times and then it just shut down like throwing a breaker or a master switch. As I mentioned, this happened once before but I was able to wake it up by jump starting it. That was several months ago and the battery has been fine. Never any signs of being low or slow to start or anything. Once I jumped it before, it just came back to life like I had over ridden the tripped breaker (for lack of a better term.
Do they have a shut off like that for theft or something?
There is the anti theft system in the car but it would not be deactivated by jumping the car. This sounds like either a dead battery or a bad connection at the battery.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How would accidently laving the car in Drive run the battery down? Without power, is there any way I can get it out of park? I can not roll the car forward because it is locked in park and I have no power. I can't get it rolled away from the garage door so that I could even get to the battery which is down in the back end of the car.??
you should still be able to unlock the ignition with a dead battery, the key should still turn even though the car won't start. The battery saving feature the car has should have shut the power draw down, but could possibly have not activated.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a 2011 Cadillac SRX. It doesn't have an ignition key. It only has a button and a key fob that won't do anything now because the power is gone.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there a way to override the power saving feature so I can get enough power back to operate the rear hatch, etc.?
you could try letting the car sit over night with everything turned off then try statring it in the morning.
Expert:  Roy Scarlett replied 5 months ago.
Have you been able to start the car?