Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Cadillac SRX: A 2006 Cadillac SRX with V-6 and 87K miles in

Customer Question

A 2006 Cadillac SRX with V-6 and 87K miles in great shape and only two people over age 65 as owners shudders with normal accelerating ONLY in high gear and between aprox. 1100 to 2200 rpms. A HARD acceleration in high gear which puts the car in "passing gear" makes NO shuddering and vibration in the body and performs just fine. It only shudders/ vibrates with normal accelerating to feed on to a freeway or to pass a car or to go up a hill (grandma driving). ONLY in high gear. Car is in excellent condition! It has No fluid leaks. It does NOT overheat. It has never hauled or towed. There's no whining or clicking noises. There is absolutely no delayed or erratic shifting. The only problem is accelerating when a little extra power is needed in high gear without gas pedal enough to engage the passing gear. It shudders/stalls and acts as if it doesn't know which gear to select for the acceleration desired unless the driver goes on to the aggressive passing gear, or remains in the shuddering, non accelerating position.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 7 months ago.
Hello, and sorry to hear about your SRX and the shuddering issue it has. Is this something that happens regularly and easily duplicated? Does it feel like you are going across the rumble strips on a road almost? (I know thats not what is happening, but is that the feeling you get) Thank you and I look forward to your response!
I forgot to ask, what size engine is in this SRX. 3.6L or the 4.6L
I just saw this was the 3.6L v6. Sorry I missed that. It sounds like you have a torque converter that is "shuddering" when trying to lock up and go into over drive.when the torque converter locks it, it mates the transmission to the engine with a speed ratio of 1:1 which improves fuel efficiency. However, when the torque converter can not "lock up" it will try rapidly over and over again which is the shuddering you are feeling. When it does the shuddering, if you keep steady pressure on the gas then just slightly apply the brake pedal it will stop monumentally as an input signal from the brake pedal will take the car out of lock up, or in this case, attempting to be in lock up. As far as the fix for this, there is a three step process I can do. The first step, there is updated software for the ECM and TCM which needs to be updated, then drive the car and see if it still happens. if it does, then check the transmission fluid. If it is dark or burnt, it need to be flushed out. Not a drain and fill, but flushed out. I also ad a product called dr. trannys shudder fix at this point (only add this if you get the transmission fluid flushed)Then drive the car for 100miles or so. If there is no improvement at that point, its going to be time to see a transmission shop and have them replace the torque. converter. I know thats a lot of information to take in, so please let me know if you have questions about what I just said and I would be more than happy to answer them and help.Thank you!
I offered the premium service of a phone call to talk about the issue you are having to help you understand if you would wish to do that. Thanks!
Expert:  Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi there,We have the same concern in our equivalent vehicle.Your shudder is the torque convertor, needs to be replaced.Quite common in ours from 2006 - 2012.Hope this helps.Gary