George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE FAILED SMOF TEST JA:

Customer Question

TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CIRCUIT PERFORMANCE FAILED SMOF TEST
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: THE SEVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT CAME ON. W E CHANGED GAS CAP, EGR AND CLEAN INTAKE. SO THAT PART PASSES THE SMOG TEST AND NOW IT FAILED AGAIN ON THIS OTHER PROBLEM
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: HOW MUCH FOR YOU TO FIX IT?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: I JUST BOUGHT IT SO ALL WE KNOW IS THE CODES THAT SHOWS IN THE COMPUTER
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello I will help you with your question, What is the year and model of your Cadillac? The code is a P0741?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1999 cadillac Deville and yes thats the code
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I was offline when you replied. The part that is causing the circuit code is the TCC solenoid which is inside the transmission. To repair the transmission and engine are dropped halfway out the drivers side of the vehicle so the side cover of the transmission can be removed. The part is about $50 but the job requires 6 hours of labor making it an expensive repair. If you didn't have to pass smog you could ignore it but when you need a smog certificate to register the vehicle it must be done. This is a very common fault on this vehicle but the solution is lengthy. I am sorry I was offline when you replied but I will be here all day today. Let me know what questions you have so I can help further Thank you