tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  own's repair shop 25yrs
14541291

Cadillac CTS: I have a 08 CTS 3.6. I replaced the battery and

Customer Question

I have a 08 CTS 3.6. I replaced the battery and now the instrument cluster is flashing. Just the numbers around the gauges flash. No info, fuel,temp, trans gear position. I've checked the fuses and reset the battery.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it.Okay, what you did may have caused you to lose the programming for the cluster. Try this relearn procedure that I attached for you. If it doesn't work though, you will need to take it to a shop.Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can't open the file you just sent
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
It does work, I just opened it. Try restarting your computer or seeing if you have the correct software program it requires. Let me know what happens.Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.Ron
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm in a shop. No computer. Just my phone. Can you send it on a different file. Or just tell me what to check
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes.Touch the 2 cable ends together for 5 seconds.Re-connect battery and see what happens. It's a long shot, but you may have lost the programming like I said.Thanks again, Ron
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Programming? I'm lost. Are you saying my ecm has stopped working the instrument panel
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
No, The cluster IS a computer too and has its' own programming. You lost it when the battery was disconnected. You needed to have reserve power on the system before you disconnected it. Please don't let this answer reflect my rating, this is not my fault.Thanks again, Ron
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do you have a reserve power when a battery is disconnected?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
Battery backup pack, we all have them. It keeps power to the system when you replace a battery or disconnect cables. Thanks, Ron
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Seriously, I have never heard or seen anybody do that. That's one of the most idiotic things a mechanic has ever told me. Next ur gonna say it's my blinker fluid. Next guess
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 7 months ago.
Did you say you were a shop?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Small shop. Steel building where I keep my dirt bikes jet skis track car etc....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Smooth way to send me off when u send dumb answers. Come on Roland...
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 7 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.it may sound " idiotic" and dumb..but give this a trydisconnect both the battery cables from the battery. touch and hold bothe the + and the - cables together for 5 seconds then re-install them back to the battery.let me know if that fixed your problem.