Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Camshaft sensor issue will not let me pass smog. Mechanic says

Customer Question

Camshaft sensor issue will not let me pass smog. Mechanic says sensor not Iissue , it goes deeper. Timing chain issue results in error code. Wants $2, 300.00 to fix. Does this seem real?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2007 CTS 3.6 ltr 145, 000 mi. At first diagnosis for check engine light resulted in replacing camshaft sensor that was issue or so seemed. Did not fix error code. Mechanic researched further info by connecting whith online expert and that resulted in being a timing chain issue. He said he had a similar problem with another car. Just replacing timing chain did not fix error. He had to also replace actuators also. So he had to open engine a second time
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yett
JA: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should be aware of about your Cadillac?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.2300$ sounds about right for 2 Timing Chains, 3 Tensioners and 5 Guides about $400.00 and labor for 12.8 hours. What specific P code(s) are setting?I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will this fix there error code? I cannot get smog passed...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will this fix The error code?
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
Yes. Timing chain issues will cause cam sensor codes to set. Not knowing what specific code(s) have set leaves me quite a bit in the dark. There are several codes that set for camshaft position sensor issues and different steps to follow for each. Your mechanic says the sensors are not the issue, this leaves the timing chains, gears their tensioners, guides, actuators..... There is also the possibility of wiring problems to the sensors and or the vehicles computer itself. When I asked you a week ago for the specific P code(s) that are setting this information was to help me look further into the problem. Not that I don't trust your mechanic but.... Truth be told there is no way I can guarantee this repair will solve anything. In the automotive repair field everything is a possibility until it has been properly diagnosed, then the work has to be done as close to perfection as humanly possible and there is still the quality of the parts involved. I hope you can understand that I'm not under the hood and am not directly involved with the diagnostic procedures being followed for specific problems.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
PO368 Camshaft Position Sensor "B" Circuit High Bank 1
Expert:  Clayso replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. (DTC) Diagnostic Trouble Codes are defined in their description, a basis for a diagnostic procedure. DTC P0368 Exhaust CMP Sensor Circuit High Voltage Bank 1. Problems with this DTC can begin with the ECM all the way to the timing chain(s) and their components. First thing I would do is isolate the circuit and sensor from the problem. Fairly simple to do. Disconnect and verify on the bank 1 Exhaust CMP Sensor that the gray wire has a 5 volt reference with the key on. Voltmeter positive lead to the gray and voltmeter negative to the ECM housing. Also swap the bank 1 Exhaust CMP Sensor with any of the other cam sensors and see if the code changes. The link below is a diagnostic procedure for DTC P0368. DTC P0368 A Digital Multi-meter (DMM) is required for testing this circuit. Let me know if you find anything out of parameter up to step 6. I know your mechanic said the sensor was not the issue but DTC's P0008 and P0009 usually set when there is a misalignment between the camshafts and the crankshaft. Diagnosing this circuit is way easier than going in and replacing timing chains and their components. If the circuits to the CMP check good then the chains and their components should be inspected.Let me know what all you find.Thanks