Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Cadillac SRX: 2008 cadillac srx timing chain replaced exactly

Customer Question

2008 cadillac srx timing chain replaced exactly on marks. starts up good idles good accellerates good up to 25 times then idles rough engine shut off and revving up to 20 times, same thing happens codes p0011, p0014, p0021 and p0024 set. what could cause this?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. I am sorry for the long delay. We got really busy today. I am checking to make sure you still need help?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, I still need help, please someone answer me!
Have you don the diag steps for these codes yet? If not are you asking for those diag steps or just my best guess on what it could be when these codes are stored together?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have checked the timing chain position two times. There is no doubt that the timing chains are exactly on the marks. When test driving, it accelerates good, and drives good and idles good until about 5 miles. Then the engine makes noises and I shut it off, then start it again and then it runs good for a while again. According to the trouble codes that I sent to you all 4 vvt cams are over advanced. I don't know what causes this condition. I flushed the engine oil with good Mobil One 5-W-30 thinking it might be sticking. I do not understand the failure of ALL vvt cams. I do not know what to do about it, so I am stuck at this point. You mentioned diagnostics for this. I am not familiar with those procedures. Please give me suggestions how to proceed in finding the causes and eliminate them. Thank you for your help.
You mentioned doing a flush but you did not mention if chemicals were used to do that. GM has found that some engine flush products are damaging parts and seals in the engine. I believe you are going to find an electrical issue to the cam actuators, can you perform the tests below? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found it hard to accept that all 4 accuator solenoids could be at fault. When I opened the connectors they were full of oil. Could that intermittently mess up the correct timing? Secondly, evidently the timing advance signal is coming through but the timing retard signal is not coming through so could this point to a ground wire problem? Furthermore, I am doing the full testing so I am not out of the woods yet. I may need some more information in the next couple of days. Thank you for the resistance values and trouble code procedure.
Oil in the connector can mess up the electrical signals to the actuators.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you or your colleagues experienced these kinds of problems in your work at the dealership? I would like to know your experience with this particular problem. Please advise.
Yes I have seen this. I follow the diag steps I previously sent to make sure I get it diagnosed and repaired correct. If you are unable to follow that, Ic an try and explain it a different way.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I measure the resistance in the vvt solenoid circuit, I get a resistance much higher than 1 ohm. I checked the wiring harness and cannot see any breaches. Checked the B terminal to ground, checked out good. The solenoid resistance is just under 5 ohm. Could this mean that the ECM is at fault? In general, what are your findings of things that go wrong most in these cases? Thanks for your help.
As long as each solenoid is getting power and ground from the PCM then your PCM is likely to blame.