Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Cadillac 2007: I have a Cadillac sts4 all wheel drive. According

Customer Question

I have a Cadillac sts4 all wheel drive. According to the dealer and aamco my transmission has gone bad (Slipping after warm-up). Both are asking for quite a bit of cash to replace, rebuild it (lowest $3000). I see transmissions on-line for $1,000-$2,000 or so). I am a shade tree mechanic and like to think I have average intelligence. Is it feasible that I could purchase a used trans with a warranty and have a mechanic other than cadillac install it ? Is there programming that needs to be done to the trans once installed. Also could it be something like a solonoid aamco says they found metal in the pan.
2007 Cadillac STS 4 3.6 V-6 110k miles on car
Thank you in advance for any help or advice ***@******.***
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
The transmission will need to be programmed after install, but yes, you could replace it with a used transmission.These transmissions are problematic. They fail often. If you are going to go through the trouble of putting a used transmission in it would be a good idea to get a low mileage model. The programming can be done at any GM dealer. They usually charge one hour for programming- about $110.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Have you had a good experience with any particular on-line seller of these type components ?
Is the replacement itself something you believe an average shop mechanic not myself) might be capable of ?
When purchasing on-line is there anything in particular I should be aware of, of course the proper transmission
Can the vehicle be driven to the dealer to be programmed ? 1 aamco place said they had to purchase the program from Cadillac ?
Any website or books I should look into to better help me make an informed decision ?
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry, your message didn't come through until tonight. I must have had a hang up somewhere. I have had good luck with LKQ. Most of their stuff has been tested and offers a decent warranty.The last GM we put a used transmission in at the shop was still able to drive to the dealer on its own. It had the check engine light on and shifted funny, but it ran ok. It was a 2012 tahoe. We also changed the transmission on a 2007 Escalade a few months back and it ran ok pre-programming as well. I think you should be fine to drive it to GM as long as you aren't miles and miles from the dealer. There isn't much published when it comes to used transmissions. Most manufacturers don't want to talk about it because they want to sell you a $6000 new factory transmission at one of their dealerships.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Most shop mechanics should be able to tackle this one fairly easily. The transmission comes out through the bottom though, so a shade-tree mechanic without a lift is going to struggle.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
I wanted to check and see if you needed any additional help. Please don't forget to rate.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the additional information. What is the full name of LKQ ?
thanks in advance.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
I'm not sure what their full name is. I always google LKQ corp and their website comes up. Then you can either call them or use their search inventory function to get price and availability. We have a local LKQ distributor here in my town so I call them locally as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks again for the assist that sheds a little bit more light on how to resolve the small problem of how to repair the sts on a tight budget.
I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Jared D replied 6 months ago.
Absolutely. Please let me know if you need more info. Don't forget to rate- that's how Just Answer pays us for our time.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Please don't forget to rate.