Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

Apparently the glove box on my 98 Eldorado is locked but when

Customer Question

Apparently the glove box on my 98 Eldorado is locked but when I turn the key nothing changes. I want to get in my glove box. Any suggestions? Do I need to take it to a locksmith?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Not much more to tell. Glove box seems locked and something is wrong with the lock.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not necessarily.
JA: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should be aware of about your Cadillac?
Customer: Don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description a locksmith would be your best bet. I have the service procedure for replacing the lock cylinder, but the glove box has to be opened to access the locking tabs access hole. I've broken the lock when I had a replacement lock cylinder, but care must be taken to keep from damaging the door. You can try lubricating the key with wd-40 and see if the using the key will free up the catches in the lock cylinder.I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Expert:  Clayso replied 6 months ago.
Hi There,I noticed you had viewed my answer, and I hope the information I gave was of some help. Mostly I hope you got the glove box open. If you have any questions, please let me know.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.