Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1997 Cadillac deville. 4.6. water pump drive belt. old belt

Customer Question

1997 Cadillac deville. 4.6. water pump drive belt. old belt broke. how do I put new belt on? No way I can see to orient belt properly with out removing tensioner. Is there another way?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Cannot find a way to put on water pump drive belt. Cannot get it around the tensioner, water pump pulley and camshaft pulley at the same time.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to arrange new drive belt around water pump, tensioner and camshaft pulley and haven't found a way to do it unless I take off tensioner first. Is that part of the procedure?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Cadillac Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No, thank you.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
HI, Yes, you MUST remove the tensioner in order to install a new belt. There is simply no way around this step. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. ThanksIf for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks