Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Cadillac Eldorado: , I am a mechanic and am having problems

Customer Question

Hello, I am a mechanic and am having problems with the security system on a 1996 Cadillac Eldorado. I am getting starter disabled wait three minutes. I have checked all fuses which are good. I switched out the IPC and PCM with a used unit still the same. The Security light does not flash or stay steady it comes on when key is switched on and goes off after approximately 5 seconds. I was unable to read the resistor in the key it is bad so I have 15 resistors which I put in one by one and still no luck. Hope someone can help.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 months ago.
Where are you installing the resistor for testing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i cut the orange cover with the two white wires inside and connected each of the 15 resistors until the 3 minute countdown finished and none of them worked. I had my genisys scanner wathching on live datastream and each one showed password ***** I was going to install a 50hz fuel enable circuit on the vehicle but then figure out that it doesn't have fuel enable the standard blue wire but it sends a password ***** the databus system.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I also don't understand why the security light is not flashing while it is in the learning mode of the resistor? i goes off after the key is switched into the on position???
The module does not learn the resistor. The resistor value is programmed into the module from the factory so the resistor either matches and works, or it does not. If it does not match, 4 minutes must elapse before a new resistance value can be tried.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok give me today to go through these resistors. i still dont understand why the security light is not on or flashing?
When going through the resistors, make sure to cut the wires going up the column. If not, the resistance of the key will throw off the resistance of the circuit to the module.